Reed and Weaver show why FAST championships must go through them
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Saturday, April 22, 2017
Contact: Brian Liskai
By Brian Liskai
FREMONT, Ohio – Byron Reed once again proved the road to the title of the All Pro Aluminum Cylinder Heads FAST Championship presented by Ohio Logistics must go through him. The Monclova , Ohio driver, who has won the last three straight FAST 410 sprint titles and four total over the past eight seasons, used lapped cars to his advantage to pass race-long leader Rob Chaney with six laps to claim the win to open the season at Fremont Speedway Saturday, April 22.
The win vaults Reed into the lead for the All Pro Aluminum Cylinder Heads FAST Championship Series presented by Ohio Logistics title after two series events.
“I don’t know if we were the best car…we were alright. It was just one of those deals where you’re better off being in second. I got beat that way last week at Attica . I don’t know if I would have gotten Rob but the lapped cars got all out of shape and I found the hole first. I want to thank Crown Battery and my crew Kurt, Dick and Kevin and my mom and dad,” Reed said.
“I’ve been doing this a long time and every year I think ‘that guy’s leaving and this guy is leaving’ but then there’s some new guys that come along. You get to thinking ‘geez not another Haudenschild, not another Jacobs or not another whoever’…they’re always coming. For a few more years I hope I can stay ahead of them,” added Reed.
And just like Reed, Paul Weaver, defending champion of the JLH General Contractor FAST 305 Series presented by Engine Pro, flexed his muscle Saturday at Fremont . Weaver also used lapped traffic to take the lead at the half-way point and drove to his 42nd win at Fremont Speedway. It was the first race of the season for the FAST 305 Sprint Series with 20 teams signing up to chase the title in 2017.
“I’m telling you anyone could drive this thing it’s handling so good I could drive it any where I wanted. I want to thank Dave Rice, Bob Hampshire, my wife, Andrea for helping,” Weaver said beside his M&L Excavating; Hampshire Racing Engines; Schiets Motorsports, Weaver Performance Center backed machine.
In the 30 lap 410 sprint feature Chris Andrews and Rob Chaney brought the field to green with Chaney gaining the upper hand. Fourth starter Thomas Meseraull, who was making only his seventh winged sprint car start, took second on lap two. With six laps scored Meseraull was closing on Chaney while Phil Gressman and Duane Zablocki battled for third with Andrews, Reed and Tyler Gunn in pursuit. While battling for the lead and dealing with lapped traffic, Meseraull would spin for the first caution.
When the green flew Chaney now had to fend off Zablocki with Gressman and Andrews battling for third while Reed, Gunn, Stuart Brubaker and Adam Kekich gave chase. At the half way point Chaney and Zablocki were dealing with heavy lapped traffic with Gressman and Reed battling for third. A lap later and Andrews would spin giving the leaders a clear track. The cars on the move were D.J. Foos who had drive from 20th to ninth and Jared Horstman who moved from 18th to seventh.
On the restart Chaney continued to hold the point with Reed driving into second while Zablocki, Gunn and Gressman staying close. With six laps to go the leaders again found themselves racing into heavy lapped traffic and that’s when Reed made his winning move. Meanwhile a fantastic battle for third was going on involving Zablocki, Gunn and Gressman. Reed sliced his way through the lapped cars to take the win over Chaney who held off Zablocki. Rounding out the top five were Gunn and Gressman.
Brandon Moore and Kelsey Ivy paced the field for the 25 lap 305 sprint feature. Moore gained the advantage at the drop of the green with Ivy in second followed by Kevin Mingus, Tony Beaber and John Ivy. While Moore and Kelsey Ivy pulled away, the battle for third heated up between Mingus, John Ivy and Beaber. John Ivy would take the third spot on lap four. Meanwhile 12th starter Weaver had worked his way to fifth by lap five.
Moore ran comfortably out front over the next few laps while John Ivy passed his daughter for second on lap eight with Weaver taking third a circuit later. When Moore encountered heavy lapped traffic on lap 10, both John Ivy and Weaver closed quickly. Weaver took second on lap 11 and drove around Moore to the lead a lap later. As Weaver pulled away Moore was no locked in a tremendous battle for second with John Ivy who nabbed the runner-up position on lap 16.
Weaver made a daring move on lap 17, splitting two lapped cars entering turn three just as John Ivy had closed the gap. Weaver would then drive to the victory over John Ivy with Kelsey Ivy getting around Moore late to round out the podium. Beaber would complete the top five at the checkers.
The All Pro Aluminum Cylinder Heads FAST Series presented by Ohio Logistics will be back in action Friday, April 28 at Attica Raceway Park and will take on the Ohio Sprint Car Series in a North verses South Round 1 affair Saturday, April 29 at Atomic Speedway in Chillicothe , Ohio .
The JLH General Contractor 305 Sprint Series presented by Engine Pro will be in action at Attica Raceway Park for the first time this season on Friday, April 28.
Those who are seeking additional information regarding the 2017 All Pro Aluminum Cylinder Heads FAST Series presented by Ohio Logistics, or the 2017 JLH General Contractors FAST ‘305’ Series presented by Engine Pro, can do so by logging on to the official online home of the FAST Series at www.fastondirt.com. Be sure to stay updated on everything FAST related and ‘Like’ FAST on Facebook at fb.com/fastondirt and follow FAST on Twitter at @FASTseries.
FAST On Dirt, Inc. would like to thank the following contributors to the 2017 FAST Series point fund: All Pro Aluminum Cylinder Heads, Ohio Logistics, JLH General Contractors, Engine Pro, Kistler Racing Products, Engler Machine & Tool, CP-Carillo Pistons, Design Graphics Group Inc., SCS Gearbox, Reebar Die Casting, Hoseheads.com, Level Performance, Young's RV Centers, Gressman Powersports, Hoserville Ohio, Jon Wright’s Custom Chrome Plating, Fremont Fence, Baumann Auto Group, Fricker’s, Goofy Golf, NAPA Auto Parts, Hoosier Tire, UNOH, Welty Financial Services, EZ Shop, US Army, Weld Racing Wheels and the Pub 400 of Fremont
Saturday, April 22, 2017
Level Performance/Gressman Powersports
Starting position [*]
410 Sprints – Fort Ball Pizza Palace
1.9X-Thomas Meseraull, 12.715; 2.97-Broc Martin, 12.850; 3.9Z-Duane Zablocki, 12.852; 4.45L-Brian Lay, 12.859; 5.83-Rob Chaney, 12.887; 6.16-Chris Andrews, 12.902; 7.68G-Tyler Gunn, 12.910; 8.7C-Phil Gressman, 12.914; 9.5-Byron Reed, 12.914; 10.5K-Adam Kekich, 12.928; 11.4-Brian Smith, 12.947; 12.35-Stuart Brubaker, 12.984; 13.27-Cody Gallogly, 13.014; 14.22M-Dan McCarron, 13.033; 15.33K-Kyle Patrick, 13.147; 16.7J-Joe Swanson, 13.171; 17.8J-Jess Stiger, 13.188; 18.5X-Justin Peck, 13.215; 19.17-Jared Horstman, 13.218; 20.7-Shawn Valenti, 13.222; 21.4H-Tracy Hines, 13.240; 22.60-Jody Keegan, 13.495; 23.14-Daryl Daugherty, 14.916; 24.23-DJ Foos, 99.990;
Heat 1 (8 laps, top 5 to A)
1. 7J-Joe Swanson ; 2. 68G-Tyler Gunn ; 3. 27-Cody Gallogly ; 4. 9X-Thomas Meseraull ; 5. 5K-Adam Kekich ; 6. 17-Jared Horstman ; 7. 45L-Brian Lay ; 8. 60-Jody Keegan
Heat 2 (8 Laps, top 5 to A)
1. 22M-Dan McCarron ; 2. 7C-Phil Gressman ; 3. 83-Rob Chaney ; 4. 7-Shawn Valenti ; 5. 8J-Jess Stiger ; 6. 4-Brian Smith ; 7. 14-Daryl Daugherty ; 8. 97-Broc Martin
Heat 3 (8 Laps, top 5 to A)
1. 5X-Justin Peck ; 2. 33K-Kyle Patrick ; 3. 5-Byron Reed ; 4. 16-Chris Andrews ; 5. 9Z-Duane Zablocki ; 6. 23-DJ Foos ; 7. 4H-Tracy Hines
B-Main 1 (10 Laps, top 5 to A)
1. 45L-Brian Lay ; 2. 4-Brian Smith ; 3. 35-Stuart Brubaker ; 4. 23-DJ Foos ; 5. 17-Jared Horstman ; 6. 4H-Tracy Hines ; 7. 60-Jody Keegan ; 8. 14-Daryl Daugherty
A-Main 1 (30 Laps)
1. 5-Byron Reed ; 2. 83-Rob Chaney ; 3. 9Z-Duane Zablocki ; 4. 68G-Tyler Gunn ; 5. 7C-Phil Gressman ; 6. 35-Stuart Brubaker ; 7. 17-Jared Horstman ; 8. 16-Chris Andrews ; 9. 5K-Adam Kekich ; 10. 4-Brian Smith ; 11. 45L-Brian Lay ; 12. 9X-Thomas Meseraull ; 13. 27-Cody Gallogly ; 14. 7-Shawn Valenti ; 15. 5X-Justin Peck ; 16. 22M-Dan McCarron ; 17. 33K-Kyle Patrick ; 18. 7J-Joe Swanson ; 19. 23-DJ Foos ; 20. 8J-Jess Stiger
Hard Charger: 17-Jared Horstman +11
305 Sprints - Fremont Federal Credit Union
Heat 1 - (8 laps, top 5 to A)
1. 66-Jamie Miller ; 2. 1-Nate Dussel ; 3. 20B-Cody Bova ; 4. 94K-Kevin Mingus ; 5. 25-Jason Keckler ; 6. 3X-Brad Keckler ; 7. 49H-Jerry Hill ; 8. 9R-Dustin Rall ; 9. 8-Bobby Clark 
Heat 2 - (8 laps, top 5 to A)
1. 11X-George Englert ; 2. 7M-Brandon Moore ; 3. 77I-John Ivy ; 4. 20I-Kelsey Ivy ; 5. 12-Kyle Capodice ; 6. 1X-Tyler Street  ; 7. 09-Justin Adams  ; 8. 14-Luke Daughtery ; 9. 99-Alvin Roepke
Heat 3 - (8 laps, top 5 to A)
1. 1W-Paul Weaver ; 2. 66D-Chase Dunham ; 3. 2-Ricky Peterson ; 4. 18R-Tony Beaber ; 5. 36-Seth Schneider ; 6. 2L-Landon LaLonde ; 7. 5JR-Jimmy McGrath Jr ; 8. 47-Matt Lucius
B-Main 1 - (8 laps, top 5 to A)
1. 1X- Tyler Street ; 2. 3X-Brad Keckler ; 3. 2L-Landon LaLonde ; 4. 99-Alvin Roepke ; 5. 8-Bobby Clark  ; 6. 5JR-Jimmy McGrath Jr ; 7. 9R-Dustin Rall ; 8. 14-Luke Daughtery ; 9. 49H-Jerry Hill ; 10. 09-Justin Adams  ; 11. 47-Matt Lucius
A-Main 1 - (25 Laps)
1. 1W-Paul Weaver ; 2. 77I-John Ivy ; 3. 20I-Kelsey Ivy ; 4. 7M-Brandon Moore ; 5. 18R-Tony Beaber ; 6. 1-Nate Dussel ; 7. 2-Ricky Peterson ; 8. 8-Bobby Clark  ; 9. 94K-Kevin Mingus ; 10. 25-Jason Keckler ; 11. 99-Alvin Roepke ; 12. 66D-Chase Dunham ; 13. 12-Kyle Capodice ; 14. 36-Seth Schneider ; 15. 20B-Cody Bova ; 16. 2L-Landon LaLonde ; 17. 1X-Tyler Street  ; 18. 3X-Brad keckler ; 19. 11X-George Englert ; 20. 66-Jamie Miller
Hard Charger: 8-Bobby Clark +12